Ensemble Shaping Workshop
Bassist Greg Cohen and special guest drum wizard Joey Baron, will conduct a two day workshop for a select 16 musicians.
Greg and Joey have been a rhythm section since the 1980’s, being a part of some classic bands like – Teddy Edwards, Marianne Faithful, Laurie Anderson, John Zorn, Lou Reed and countless others. Together they offer 40 years of section playing experience to help you shape your skills for better:
- Ensemble playing
- Listening skills
- Tone on your instrument
- Form and understanding the compositions your playing
- Understanding the roles of the other instruments or voices
- Beat management
- Musical attitudes and directions
We will be coaching small groups, playing thru familiar jazz classics from the period encompassing Ellington thru the 1970s. The focus is on ACOUSTIC PLAYING. Only light amplification for a guitar or voice. For this workshop, no keyboards, pedal boards or other electronics. We appreciate all of these forces, but we aim to work on hearing the acoustic center of a group to sharpen that skill set – for this workshop.
For advanced and medium advance players.
An understanding of the repertoire and ensemble playing required.
We can accept:
- 3 bassists
- 3 drummers
- 4 pianists or guitarists
- 5 horn players or linear instruments
- 1 vocalist
- Or something close to this.
- 16 maximum
MORE TO COME IN THE FUTURE
WORKSHOPS TAKE PLACE IN ITALY AND GERMANY
IMPROVISATION ON ALL INSTRUMENTS
IMPROVISATION ON STRING INSTRUMENTS
FOR PLAYERS ON A SEMIPROFESSIONAL AND PROFESSIONAL LEVEL
A FUN WEEK / OR JUST A WEEKEND INCLUDING
Individual private lessons
Plus a recording session or a live concert on the last day
• who are interested in developing their improvisational skills
• who are interested in becoming more versatile musicians
• who are interested in learning/improving to improvise
• who are interested in the creative working process
• who are interested to overcome the fear of playing a „wrong note“
• who want to improve memory skills for taking ownership of written music, through a better understanding of harmonic and melodic structures
Overcome your fears and step out of your normal routine by working on new challenges
Start to work with other creative musicians, that inspire you
Build your potential for musical collaborations
Develop what you need to be a more complete performing artist
Connect with people on a human level and create new musical friendships.
Spend an unforgettable week in Berlin.
Workshop is held in english/german
To be informed about our upcoming workshops, please contact us via the contact formular.